Point de vue et table d’orientation à Villefranche-de-Rouergue
Calvary St Jean d'Aigremont; the view of the city.
Legend attributes the construction of the Pont de l'Alzou to the Romans, which leads to Calvary. It is based on the existence of a Roman road which spoke of Segodunum - Rodez - To go towards Divona - Cahors.
It dominates Villefranche from the top of its 400 m altitude.
Difficult to access - hence the name "aigre-mont" - this place which has the characteristic of an oppidum and where we find traces of mining, shelters a small Romanesque church, the Saint Jean d'Aigremont church adjoined by a small cemetery.
On this site there was also another chapel, dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre, built in 1715 by a hermit, Father Célestin Lacombe.
During the Revolution, the hill became "mountain of the eternal" and in 1794, this chapel was demolished. In 1821, a rich widow, Mrs. Rouziés-Labastide, to satisfy a wish of her late husband, decided to have a new chapel of the Holy Sepulcher built at her own expense. The building is the one that can be seen from Villefranche.
To get there: either on foot (20 min walk from the Alzou bridge); either by car (direction Compolibat - Le Calvaire - Le Mauron - D47)
- Landscaped viewpoint
- Orientation table
- For all