Discover the Bastides and Gorges de l'Aveyron destination by train! From Toulouse Matabiau train station, head towards Villefranche de Rouergue: an authentic bastide town 1h40 from Toulouse.
From Toulouse to Villefranche de Rouergue by train: immediate boarding!
At the Toulouse Matabiau SNCF station, embark on a trip to Villefranche de Rouergue, a charming medieval bastide town in the Aveyron department.
Why visit Villefranche de Rouergue?
- For his proximity to Toulouse and its direct line by train. A car-free trip = a more responsible getaway!
- For his remarkable architectural heritage, its pretty squares, its half-timbered and freestone houses.
- For his unmissable monuments accessible on foot from the station: the Monastery of Saint-Sauveur Charterhouse, Notre Dame collegiate church, Chapel of the Black Penitents.
- For his market Thursday morning, one of the most beautiful in the South-West!
On the way: beautiful discoveries
Arrived at the SNCF station of Toulouse Matabiau, join your platform for the departure, direction the adventure! The train gradually moves away from the station and the town to cross Saint-Sulpice-sur-Tarn, Rabastens, Lisle-sur-Tarn, Gaillac... After crossing the Tarn river several times, the railway line then moves away from the vast plains to reach the gorges of the Aveyron. You will then cross Lexos, Laquépie then Najac. Perhaps you will be able to guess the fortress that sits on its rocky outcrop? Between the oaks, chestnuts and resinous trees, the train will give you the impression of flying over the Aveyron river whose many meanders you will come across.
Villefranche de Rouergue by train: suggested stay
For a day
Are you only in Villefranche de Rouergue for a day? Discover the city's must-sees.
- Survey it country house with your smartphone to listen to its history or book your guided tour at the tourist office. 3 minutes walk from the train station.
- Immerse yourself in the daily life of Carthusian monks and lay brothers at the Chartreuse Saint-Sauveur. 8 minutes walk from the train station.
- Contemplate a breathtaking Baroque decor at the Chapel of the Black Penitents. 10 minutes walk from the train station.
For two or more days...
Are you extending your stay in Villefranche de Rouergue? Book a room at a hotel, B&B or B&B and check out our top 10 things to do and see in the city.